This instrument still bears an original label reading ‘Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 1715’, and, since its acquisition by the City of Cremona in 1961, is has been called the ‘Cremonese’. It was formerly known as ‘Harold Joachim’ on account of one of its past owners, the nephew of the Hungarian virtuoso Joseph Joachim (1831–1907).The reason for which neither the names ‘Harold’ nor ‘Joseph’ have been kept for the violin was duly explained in an article published by the Strad magazine: ‘The violin chosen by the Ente Provinciale per il Turismo for presentation to the City of Cremona was at one time in the possession of Joseph Joachim. This artist was the owner of several Stradivarius during his long career. For this reason the violin now at Cremona will in future not be referred to as the “ex-Joachim” as there are others in existence which have an equal claim to the title. It will be known simply as the “1715, of Cremona”’.
More information: Antonio Stradivari Set 1, Volume 3, Page 132